Today, I am participating in the Washington statewide general strike and day of action called for by Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County:
There’s never been a time in American history where Black people have not lived and died under the unrelenting boot of racism and systematic oppression. If we truly want to create something that we’ve never had before, then we need to be willing to do things that we’ve never done before. A statewide day of action will send a powerful message that Black lives matter in Washington state.
Today I will specifically:
- Make donations from my business’s profits to Northwest Community Bail Fund and WA-BLOC.
- Spend time reading about race, racism, and systemic injustice. (Right now, I’m reading So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo. Next up is White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo.)
- Call my senators, representative, council member, mayor, school superintendent, and prosecutor demanding they defund the police in order to increase funding of black and brown communities, get the police out of schools, and drop charges against recent protesters.
I encourage you to ask me about these actions to hold me accountable, and I invite you to join me by:
- Donating to organizations supporting and lead by black and brown people.
- Calling your political representatives to demand they support the lives of black and brown people with significant investment and meaningful structural change.