My name is Mark Root-Wiley. I grew up in Michigan; went to college in Grinnell, Iowa; spent time in Washington, D.C., and Durban, South Africa; and now live in Seattle, Washington.
I strive to build thoughtful, high-quality, mission-driven websites in support of people and organizations that improve my local, national, and global community.
Websites for Nonprofits
I run MRW Web Design making WordPress websites for nonprofits and small businesses. I have a wide variety of experiences within the nonprofit sector, having worked with organizations that focus on education, the environment, nonprofit capacity-building, and more. I bring a broad range of interests and skills to my work including user experience, content strategy, and web accessibility that strengthen my design, development, and support services.
I have worked with a wide variety of clients, but my passion is for nonprofits. Through internships, jobs, and course work, I have come to believe in the power of mission-driven organizations to positively change the world. Small nonprofits with limited resources deserve high-quality websites just as much as huge corporations, and I’ve made it my business (literally) to build those sites.
I also maintain Nonprofit WP with free advice for nonprofits using WordPress.
Presentations, Training, and Consulting
I also seek to spread knowledge about best practices in website design and development to nonprofits—beyond those I can serve directly—through free and paid presentations, trainings, and consulting.
I’ve been making websites for well over a decade. Prior to starting MRW Web Design, I worked or interned with:
- MATRIX: The Center for Humane, Arts, Letters and Social Sciences Online at Michigan State University,
- Byte Back,
- Kabissa: Space for Change,
- Center for Public Participation (CPP), and
- Grinnell College web team.
I was also a founding member, leader, and web master for the Social Entrepreneurs of Grinnell, a microfinance nonprofit organization based in Grinnell, Iowa.
I maintain an electronic resume.
Learn More About Me
I can be found in other corners of the internet:
- I’m on the fediverse! @email@example.com
- I am @MRWweb on Twitter. (Update 2023: For now…)
- We can connect on LinkedIn.
- I maintain multiple projects and contribute to others on Github.
- You can see my WordPress-related activity on WordPress.org.
- You can see various miscellaneous code experiments on Codepen.
- I blog on this website about website design, particularly for nonprofits. You can subscribe via RSS!