My name is Mark Root-Wiley. I grew up in Michigan; went to college in Grinnell, Iowa; spent time in Washington, D.C., and Durban, South Africa; and now live in Seattle, Washington.
I strive to build thoughtful, high-quality, mission-driven websites in support of people and organizations that improve my local, national, and global community.
Websites for Nonprofits
I run MRW Web Design making WordPress websites for nonprofits and small businesses. I have a wide variety of experiences within the nonprofit sector, having worked with organizations that focus on education, the environment, nonprofit capacity-building, and more. I bring a broad range of interests and skills to my work including user experience, content strategy, and web accessibility that strengthen my design, development, and support services.
I have worked with a wide variety of clients, but my passion is for nonprofits. Through internships, jobs, and course work, I have come to believe in the power of mission-driven organizations to positively change the world. Small nonprofits with limited resources deserve high-quality websites just as much as huge corporations, and I’ve made it my business (literally) to build those sites.
I also maintain Nonprofit WP with free advice for nonprofits using WordPress.
Presentations, Training, and Consulting
I also seek to spread knowledge about best practices in website design and development to nonprofits—beyond those I can serve directly—through free and paid presentations, trainings, and consulting.
That includes speaking at WordCamp Seattle, 501 Commons Talks Tech, Seattle WordPress Meetup, Accelerate.LGBT, and as an NTEN faculty member.
I’ve been making websites for well over a decade. Prior to starting MRW Web Design, I worked or interned with:
- MATRIX: The Center for Humane, Arts, Letters and Social Sciences Online at Michigan State University,
- Byte Back,
- Kabissa: Space for Change,
- Center for Public Participation (CPP), and
- Grinnell College web team.
I was also a founding member, leader, and web master for the Social Entrepreneurs of Grinnell, a microfinance nonprofit organization based in Grinnell, Iowa.
I maintain an electronic resume.
Learn More About Me
I can be found in other corners of the internet:
- I’m on the fediverse! @email@example.com
- I am @MRWweb on Twitter. (Update 2023: For now…)
- We can connect on LinkedIn.
- I maintain multiple projects and contribute to others on Github.
- You can see my WordPress-related activity on WordPress.org.
- You can see various miscellaneous code experiments on Codepen.
- I blog on this website about website design, particularly for nonprofits. You can subscribe via RSS!